Friday 4 February 2011

The end is nigh...

I have recently started working with henna and my work seems to have taken a turn into focusing on the kinds of rituals Sikh women carry out in important times of the year, at festivals and occasions. The importance of the female carrying out these tasks are key to my work.
I want to use henna as the main medium of my work. Not only is the actual dye embedded in my culture (and used as a commercial, accessory, tattoo etc in western culture - thanks madonna!), but the act and process of making the henna, the smell it creates and the way in which it is applied holds strong and obvious relevance.
I am also going to begin experimentation with Rangoli patterns which is the oldest form of indian folk painting where natural dyes are painted by hand on floors. This is another routine carried out by women at certain ceremonies e.g. weddings. It is believed they bring good luck and signify happiness and unity. This is something which is not important in my work, but again, the act and importance of the female role is relevant.
I will be bringing material back into my work also very soon...









No comments:

Post a Comment